What you Need :
- 2 small red potatoes, sliced 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into ¼ rings
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper
- flour for rolling dough
- 1 pie crust (store bought or your favorite recipe)
- 3/4 cup Gruyére cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
How to Make It :
- In a small saucepan, add potato slices and cold water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until just tender. Remove from heat. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add oil, leeks and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until soft. Remove from heat.
- Lightly dust countertop with flour and roll 1 piecrust to 12-inch diameter. Place crust on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread leek mixture onto center of piecrust leaving a 2-inch outer border. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Lay potato slices in a single layer on top of leeks. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Fold edges of piecrust over filling to create a rustic tart. Brush tart edges with egg wash and bake until crust is golden brown and cheese has melted, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Melissa Petersen